Saturday, January 9, 2010

Strawberry Surprise in Tropical City

It was July this year when i sowed some strawberry seeds which we got from the States. It was kinda weird idea to plant it ’cause you know, its Gensan - its forever summer here - and knowing that strawberries only grow in cold places, e.g. Baguio in the Philippines and of course some foreign cold place, it seems impossible ( like swimming across Atlantic Ocean ).

The seeds did germinate after a couple of weeks, i just had to maintain the moisture it needed based on what i learned from my reading about growing them. Weeks turned to months and after several months- i got a wonderful flower that houses a tiny yellow strawberry fruit inside. I can’t believe when i saw it first so i have to make a closer look to make sure i was not deceived. But yes, it was inside a flower and now that the petals are starting to wilt, the tiny fruit can be seen without necessary scrutinizing the plant. I am happy….proud of myself of this wonderful achievement. I just don’t know if it will successfully give me the first red berry though, but i am hoping it will. I will give the plant the same nurturing hands until the fruit is ready to pick..What is promising about my strawberry plants is that they are very healthy with lush green leaves. I will just have to be on guard for the ants or rats who will try to steal my first berry.!….

I will let you know guys whatever progress there is..

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the progress of your strawberry plants, Gem!

    Photos please! ;-)

    ReplyDelete