Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sisters all the Time




People would think we are twins, but we are not. She was born 14 months ahead of me and has a bit bigger physique than i have. Aside from a little body difference, we have almost the same physical features that even our neighbors for more than 20 years find it hard to identify who is who. What makes people think we are twins - is our ability to speak, act and laugh like the other. Nothing can be wackier than me and her in a gimmick together.

Grace, my sister, lives in Makati City, but she came home to celebrate new year with us. We were surprised that she will spend 10 days with us, knowing that she hates the sunny weather and that she usually spend only 2 to 3 days with us in every vacation. I was happy she will be staying longer but little did we know that she has brought with her a sad news. Her doctor advised her for a second operation in her ovary due to ovarian cysts. I can remember in November 2008 when she was first operated. I flew to Manila to be with her in the hospital and to take care of her. I thought it was the end of her suffering, but it was not.

She came home sad, not knowing what to do, where to go and where to get the same amount of money she spent for her first operation. We talked, we discussed and somehow came up with something. Though its not gonna be easy, i am sure we can surpass this as family.

So i thought, spending quality time with her would help. We took a road trip to Koronadal City, bought fruits she likes so much along the road, went to the foot of Mount Matutum to visit the flower plantations, watched movies together, went shopping together and even renewed our driver's license together. We are that close. We had fun, we had double fun. She even told me she does not feel the pain now that we are together ( i hope she will not feel it, ever! )

Two days more and she will be off to Manila and we don't know when we will see each other again. To make the most of her stay, we went to get foot massage and facial cleaning. After some much needed pampering we checked the newest pizzeria in town. Pizza tasted great but what made it greater is the good-looking manager who seemed to be attracted to her. That nice looking guy came to our table several times ( which is not necessary at all) and asked a couple of questions, then another question and then another. I learned the following morning they exchanged friendly messages. I am just as happy that she does not think of her operation as much as when she is with us than when she is in Makati. But reality bites, i am certain that when she gets back to Makati she will be thinking of it again.

Although i feel sad, i am sure i was able to make the most of her stay. That i had made her happy is already an achievement. It is still 3 months until the second operation and many things will happen still in that length of time all i pray is a miracle for her so that she does not have to go through it again.

To a sister that i love so much - just be strong. I am just here.

4 comments:

  1. Gem, thank you very much for that very touching article. Upon reading it, I can't hold on my tears. They went so fast. I cried, not because of what my doctor had said to me but knowing pain will be nothing because you were there. Thank you so much for the time, it's priceless. I also had a great time with you. I think that was also the time that we did the wackiest things again( just like before) before i left gensan and work in Davao, Cebu and Manila. I really missed it. When I told you that I am not feeling the pain when was there, it's true. I know, it's because of the unconditional love that you, mamang and tatay as well and Greg and his family showed to me generously. I thank you all for that. I could never repay you for that.

    Thank you also for the advices you shared with me. I will always remember it.

    You're the only sister I have and as much as possible, I want to have quality time with you too. I want you also to take good care always as I wanted to share more and more moments with you until we grow older and older.
    I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it reminds of my sister and i..same age gap..oh how close we are, more than best friends..My prayers are with your sister Gem. i hope she'll get through all the pains. I understand how stressful just to think the expensses and pain..maka depress jud. My brother had undergone the same thing for the last three years..he suffered that long until such time nakaipon mig wawart last year and gi-operahan cia,gensan ra masmura gosh 120k.Get well soon to Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so touching! So full of emotion. It made me wish I had a sister.

    Get well soon to your Ate, Gem. Stay strong. God never sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for complete healing Grace. I really never see the pain in you.

    Count me in. I am just a txt away. And God is just a prayer away.

    Glad after long time we've met again.

    ReplyDelete